AAG unveils a special Bicentennial flag on September 27.
|Q: In 1906 Principal Esther Louise Camp led an effort to modernize AAG by doing what?|
A: Changing the name from Albany Female Academy to Albany Academy for Girls
Q: In 1909, baseball and basketball had become popular among girls. To raise further interest, the students formed an athletic association which sponsored student picnics in remote Albany areas like the Albany Country Club or private estates, just to have a “bat,” or a good time. The Athletic Association was also responsible for putting on a bacon bat for its members; originally what activities did girls participate in?
A: The association furnished delicious coffee, the girls toasted bacon for dinner and after dinner played baseball in the woods.
Q: Swimming as a recreation became an option for Academy students in 1876 when a wooden outdoor crib was constructed in the Hudson River. When did competitive swimming become possible at AA?
A: In 1931, the new school featured a 20-yard pool.
Q: How much does the fish and pumpkin weigh that currently grace the cupola?
A: The fish weighs 230 pounds and the pumpkin 600 pounds.
Q: Who presided at The Albany Academy cornerstone-laying ceremony on November 21, 1929?
A: President Franklin Delano Roosevelt, then the Governor of New York.
Q: Which AAG class was the last class to graduate from the old AAG building located on Washington Ave.?
A: Class of 1958
The Albany Academies celebrated Charter Day on March 4, kicking-off the Bicentennial celebration!
Many thanks to the 400 guests who joined in celebration at the Bicentennial Spring Gathering held April 13th at Taste. The sold out event raised over $206,000 in support of scholarship and financial aid programs at The Albany Academies!
Alumni and Alumnae gathered to celebrate Reunion 2013 at Albany Academy for Girls and The Albany Academy. We hope you will join us on May 16 and 17, 2014 to celebrate with us again!