At The Albany Academies, the active expression of different perspectives and life experiences plays a vital role in the life of the school.
In harmony with our Mission Statement and reflective of our Core Values, the Academies is committed to a safe, diverse, inclusive, equitable, and just school climate within a Preschool through Postgraduate curricular framework dedicated to inclusive excellence.
We actively strive to respect, affirm, and protect the dignity and worth of each member of our learning community and cultivate an environment where all members of the Academies community experience a true sense of belonging and are empowered to fully participate in the life of the school. We also recognize that diversity of thought and expression is integral to developing learners who are culturally agile, adept at thinking critically, and effective when collaborating with others.
Maintaining a truly inclusive community is an ongoing process that requires us to be open, reflective, and proactive. We accept this challenge in the knowledge that our varied perspectives strengthen our community and prepare our students to learn, lead, and pursue inclusive excellence at The Albany Academies and beyond.
Following the Principles of Good Practice for Equity and Justice developed by the New York State Association of Independent Schools, the Albany Academies aspires to:
- Adhere to all local, state, and federal civil rights and anti-discrimination requirements.
- Clearly establish the foundation for the institution’s commitment to equity and justice by consistently respecting, affirming, and protecting the dignity and worth of all members of the school community.
- Develop and implement programs that respect and support the social and emotional health of every learner.
- In harmony with the school’s mission and resources, admit learners and create educational and co-curricular programs that provide equal access for all learners regardless of color, religion, disability, gender identity, national origin, and sexual orientation.
- Regularly establish, publish, implement, and review policies and communication that promote equity and justice.
- Support the ongoing education of the Board of Trustees, families, learners, and all school personnel as part of the process of creating and promoting an equitable, just, and safe community.
- Identify and remedy bias in hiring and provide equitable opportunities for promotion and leadership development to all employees.
- Seek and embrace diverse points of view in decision making.
- Expect from all members of the community respect and responsibility for these principles of inclusion, equity, and justice.