The Albany Academy for Girls, a prestigious independent day school in Albany, NY, serving girls and young women in grades pre-school to 12, is seeking a creative and inspiring role model to fill the position of Director of Lower and Middle Schools beginning July 1, 2017.
The Director must be passionate about girls’ education and an expert in children’s development. The ideal candidate will champion individualized education and understand each student’s progression in the learning process as well as know what benchmarks all students should attain. With a focus on positive education, this hands-on administrator will support and engage the faculty in innovative thinking and practice, and promote entrepreneurial modes of thought.
Additional areas of responsibility include:
* promoting project-based education in all areas of the curriculum and modeling creative thinking and learning in the classroom
* maintaining regular communication with the School’s Teaching and Learning Center
* evaluating faculty and helping them become more aware of and proficient in new strategies and best practices in education while demonstrating master teacher classroom skills and effective collaboration
* serving as a liaison between the school and the home who understands the individual needs of students and families while maintaining the Schools’ integrity
* acting as a patient and compassionate disciplinarian who mediates conflict and helps students work out their differences fairly while proposing effective consequences
* partnering with The Albany Academy Director of Lower and Middle School to promote coordinate education among the schools
* reporting to the AAG Associate Head of School
The successful candidate will possess zest, energy, and good humor. Effective communication skills are essential.
The Albany Academies – Albany Academy for Girls & The Albany Academy – practice a leadership model of education combining individual attention to students with project-based learning and demanding academics. We also combine single-gender education through the 10th grade with a co-educational program for juniors and seniors. For more than 200 years, the Academies have led the way in the Capital Region.
* Cover letter stating how you are a good fit with the School, its mission, and the ideals of Albany Academy for Girls.
* Current resume
* Personal Philosophy of Education
* Names and contact information of three references
Application review will begin December 12, 2016.